Monday, April 05, 2010

Coffee And Sandwiches

I finished the third of Stieg Larsson’s What Katy Did series recently, with a yawn and a furrowed brow at his depiction of himself his protagonist as a crusading sex machine women just can’t help sleeping with. I read a couple of Jon McGregor books for balance, and then absent-mindedly picked up a copy of Henning Mankell’s The Man Who Smiled. It turns out Kurt Wallander likes coffee and sandwiches just as much as Kalle Blomkvist, and all the other characters in Mankell's book have the same bloody names as Larsson’s creations (though, confusingly, some of the baddies are goodies and vice versa). I think my dalliance with Swedish crime fiction may, like so many dalliances of mine, have reached its dull and disappointing conclusion.


5 comments:

emordino said...

I read the first one. The amount of product placement is ludicrous. I still can't quite believe he talked up a piece of software and then put the download link right there in the text. I mean, he didn't, did he? I imagined that.

Tessa said...

I quite liked the first one, but thought the second was off the wall altogether. The third hasn't made it to these shores yet, but I'll probably buy it when it does, just to finish the trilogy. Given that Sweden is usually held up as the beacon for gender equality and enlightened social programs, it's surprising how negatively both Larssen and Mankell portray Swedish men in power.

Andrew said...

No, Colm, he did. But by refusing to read the second book you may remain forever immune to the undoubted charms of Billy's Pan Pizza. I'm buying the supermarket out of them the nest time I'm in Sweden.

emordino said...

Whoa now, I'm not refusing to read it. The first was reasonably fun. I suppose I'll look up some reviews of the other two on my Dell Optiplex GX20 with dual-core 2.8GHz Pentium CPU and Broadcom NetXtreme network adapter and proceed from there.

Rosie said...

re book the second, just pick up an Ikea catalogue. they're free, and illustrated.