Monday, December 06, 2010

Daithí Lacha

I was 14, I think. We were hanging around on the grounds of Coláiste Bhríde in Clondalkin, a big gang of us, slagging and messing and supping from a shared coke bottle of dolly mixture that one of the lads had made by siphoning off shots from every bottle in his parents' booze cabinet. One of his friends asked me if I'd "meet" him. I said I would, so his friend told me to go around the back of the school in five minutes. I did, and he followed me around a few minutes later. I stood with my back to the wall, unsure where to look, what to say, what to do with my hands. "Will you meet me?" he said and I nodded mutely, then he kissed me for 40 minutes straight. I breathed through my nose, hoping that my breath wasn't too loud, that my mouth wasn't too wet or my tongue too dry, that I was getting it right and that it would be over soon. He put his hands on my hips so I put mine on his shoulders. His tongue went round and round and round in my mouth and my face ached with the effort. I opened my eyes, just the once, just to check that this was happening, and then squeezed them shut again before he could open his and see me. "Thanks" he said when he was finished, and we walked back around the corner, hand-in-hand until we were within sight of our friends. He dropped my hand then and I walked back over to the girls, who were cold and impatient to get home. The skin around my mouth felt dry and when I rubbed it, little flecks of dried saliva came away on the back of my hand.

Inspired by Pierce and Kitey's Sunday Assignment: The particulars of your first kiss, though written (like so many of my assignments) in a hurry over lunch on a Monday. Suggestions for further assignments welcome - I need some direction.

12 comments:

Ellie said...

I'm impressed you thought to breathe through your nose, I had no such thought and nearly passed out. The boy in question was also my friend's boyfriend and we'd all been playing Spin the Bottle. Such a romantic first kiss...
As for suggestions, how about your first home away from home?

Radge said...

Back Gate on Cathal Brugha Street for me, 'U Can't Touch This' by MC Hammer was playing.

A heartrending ballad to soundtrack my first 'meet'.

Rosie said...

call it survival instinct, Ellie. and thanks for the suggestion, i'll get on it.

a hearty LOL, Radge. and two thums up to the soundtrack.

Rosie said...

thumbs!

(my fingers are numb with the cold)

Kitty Cat said...

Slightly drunk, aged seventeen in a dodgy pub. He turned out to be gay.

(Dolly mixture is a much nicer name for what I knew as donkey's bollocks.)

SDaedalus said...

This takes me back. My first kiss was in the Carlton Cinema, in O'Connell Street. I'm not sure what the film was.

The first really memorable kiss, on the other hand, was a few years later. There is a first kiss, and a first kiss...

Catherine said...

Aged seventeen and two weeks, the rugby club pissup after our graduation mass, in the middle of the dancefloor in front of all my mates. I never got his name (!) but he wore an orange shirt and didn't kiss like a washing machine.

Conan Drumm said...

Ailleliú!

As for an assignment... something memorable involving a bicycle.

Rosie said...

donkey's bollocks! a much better name for it. i love all your stories (and the one Colm emailed to me, unwilling as he was to share it with the group). sounds like you had the best time of the lot of us, Catherine.

i'll get on that too, Conan. there's one about an accident, one about an accidental kiss and one about a caution. i might do a compilation. i've already chronicled some of my most memorable bicycling moments here though, in the posts about my trip to Belarus.

Annie said...

Swap the back of the school for a bunch of trees near my house and that is pretty much word for word, the exact same experience I had for my first kiss. I thought it would never end. My friend who was waiting with yer man's friend left after half an hour because she thought I'd snuck out through the trees and gone home. My jaw ached that night and I was convinced that somehow, magically, my parents knew what I'd been up to that afternoon.

Ah, romance.

Tessa said...

I always have fun trying to decipher your post titles, Rosie. But this one has me stumped. David Duck? Cockney rhyming slang? Nah. I've got nothing. And my first kiss was so long ago, it's got lost in the mists of iniquity, as they say in Liverpool.

Rosie said...

i ended up going out with that fella for two and a half years. Daithí Lacha was a cartoon character who wore big stripy knickers and my dad thought it a suitable nickname for him. i'm glad you like the titles, Tessa, i like choosing them.