I got a call on Saturday evening to tell me that my flatmate had lost her dad that morning. She's an alarmingly strong character, this woman (in direct contrast to me; the bould rip of the house, constantly in need of reinforcement and reprimand). So to hear her come undone as she spoke to me of his loss was heartbreaking. I'd never met the man, he wasn't a frequent visitor to Dubbalin's fair city and yesterday now marks my maiden voyage to Lovely Leitrim. But if the crowd assembled to mark his passing yesterday evening was anything to go by, he was as well loved as his two daughters are.
It was the first time I'd ever attended a funeral alone, and it's something I hope I never have to do again. Aside from the fact that I'd had my hair dyed a vivid shade of pink on Saturday morning (not all the rage in Lovely Leitrim, it seems, and quite a talking point amongst the mourners, who apparently equated it with me being thick-skinned and hard of hearing) I felt very uncomfortable. So much so in fact that I didn't go on to the church, but left after the prayers at the funeral home. Still, by then I'd done what I came to do. As the funeral party left for the church, I got a minute to express my sympathy and give her the hug I'd been bursting to give since I'd heard the news. Being the woman that she is, she bollocked me for making the 8 hour round trip just to hug her and make her cry. It was worth it. And I didn't tell her that it only took me 7 hours in total. I'll wait until she's ready to smile again and then tell her the funny story about the summons I got in the post.
Caroline, a chroí, ní maith liom do bhris.
It was the first time I'd ever attended a funeral alone, and it's something I hope I never have to do again. Aside from the fact that I'd had my hair dyed a vivid shade of pink on Saturday morning (not all the rage in Lovely Leitrim, it seems, and quite a talking point amongst the mourners, who apparently equated it with me being thick-skinned and hard of hearing) I felt very uncomfortable. So much so in fact that I didn't go on to the church, but left after the prayers at the funeral home. Still, by then I'd done what I came to do. As the funeral party left for the church, I got a minute to express my sympathy and give her the hug I'd been bursting to give since I'd heard the news. Being the woman that she is, she bollocked me for making the 8 hour round trip just to hug her and make her cry. It was worth it. And I didn't tell her that it only took me 7 hours in total. I'll wait until she's ready to smile again and then tell her the funny story about the summons I got in the post.
Caroline, a chroí, ní maith liom do bhris.