Thursday, September 06, 2007

Just one Cornetto...

I'm off to the opera tonight, to see Lucia as part of the Anna Livia International Opera Festival. Quite why the story of a Scottish highlands lass has to be sung in bloody Italian is beyond me, but I'm sure Donizetti had his reasons. Tis myself and the BGF* going, and we're not only going for free, but getting goodie bags into the bargain! What constitutes an opera festival goodie bag remains to be seen, but I'm hoping it involves sweets of some kind (the Ebola is receding, and my appetite returning). We're "volunteering" you see, surveying the other luvvies during half time the interval and being rewarded with a free night out.

The dress code is smart, I was told. Now I'm a natty dresser, it's true, but smart for me always poses a problem. Formal I can do, being the proud possessor of a few extravagant ballgowns. Casual I can do, being the proud possessor of many pairs of jeans. Eccentric and fancy dress I do very well, being the proud possessor of everything else in my wardrobe. But smart? That would necessitate a haircut for starters. So I'll compromise, and see what I can get away with. I'm currently in one of my more creative outfits as I sit at my desk in work, but give me 15 minutes in the office jacks, and I'll be transformed. I have my flared black tuxedo trousers (complete with shiny ribbon down the side) some high heels that I can't really walk in (and that make me an intimidating 5'10 tall) and a low cut black top in a vain effort to distract from the ridiculousness of the rest of the ensemble. Although I suspect all the low cut top will do is draw attention to my alarming lack of diddies. (I'm 26. They should have arrived by now). The overall effect should make me look either (a) very sexy and sophisticated or (b) like an extra from the Rocky Horror Show. Either way, the BGF is bound to be horrified.

*Not to be confused with the BFG (Big Friendly Giant) as he's kinda small, and decidedly unfriendly, or with a GBF (Gay Best Friend) as he's not my best friend. He'd balk at the idea. He is, however, my Best Gay Friend. And he likes to try to culture me.