Thursday, November 29, 2007

Halp!

I'm taking my last day of annual leave tomorrow, to go shopping. Not the nice kind of shopping where I spend hours trying on things that I hope will make my boobs look big and my bum look small.* No. Christmas Shopping. Being a little bit anal, I've made a list. Being not quite anal enough, all I've managed to list are the people I'd like to buy for rather than what I'd like to get them.

It goes thus:

My Brother
The weight of an entire family's expectations rest on me coming up trumps here. Each of us (5, including my parents) buys for just one other, so in effect if I fuck this up, I ruin Christmas. It needs to be good. I'm at a loss. Likes: beer, the 1980s, girls. Dislikes: vouchers.

The Self-Appointed Head of Our Social Committee (friend)
The result of another Kris Kindle draw. She's got better looks, better taste and nicer stuff than anyone else I know. I once gave her a framed photo of us all and made her cry. She's wise to that one now though. I haven't a fucking clue what to get for her.

The Swede (flatmate)
Anything that needs to be assembled and has moving parts and/or sexual connotations is pretty much a winner. Suggestions welcome.

The Leitrim Lady (flatmate)
The voice of reason and conscience in our little household. She's incredibly thoughtful and keeps me sane, I want to get her something that shows how much I appreciate that. Our apartment has a no pets rule though, so a hamster's out.

Lady Muck (cousin, aged... um, 8?)
Yet another kris kindle. Something plasticky with sparkles? Cigarettes? I don't really know what 8 year olds are into these days. Again, suggestions welcome.

Miss Donegal (work colleague)
Soon to be Mrs, she would be happy with a hand-painted potato as a present. But that just makes me want to get her something really thoughtful.

The thoughts of traipsing around Dublin's soggy streets tomorrow are so appealing that I might just be tempted to stay at home and study. I know that if I put it off for much longer though that the shops will get busier and it'll be worse, much, much worse.

Pray for me... And make with the suggestions!

*I detest and refuse to wear either padded bras or control pants (even the name! fuck off!) so I'm eternally on the hunt for some magical garment with miraculous properties