Crash Grandadicoot has plumped for alternative accommodation this Christmas; the plush environs of St James' Hospital. Saturday was awful, he was very very ill, thankfully things look to be improving. I got the call early on Saturday morning when I was still struggling with Friday night's excesses and spent the afternoon trying to hold back the tears and the snot bubbles. Hopsickles aren't good places to be when you're hungover; the smell of overcooked cabbage and contagious disease permeates everything and turns your already delicate stomach. My sister, meanwhile, was doing her best to hold in the snot bubbles herself and to entertain the 17 members of my dad's family who'd arrived in my parents' house for our Christmas kris kindle. Bad timing.
These things do seem to happen around Christmas time, but it may be no bad thing. I feel lucky that there is so much else going on to lift the spirits, so much love and support on hand, so many welcome distractions. We had another family gathering this afternoon, the one over which he usually presides, dickied up in his Santa suit (stuffed with pillows) to dole out the presents. I had expected a subdued affair but he had rallied so much by this morning that everyone was in buoyant humour, so we drank a toast to his health and made with the merry. Hopefully tomorrow's turkey and ham will go a ways to restoring him to health, and he'll be back to my nana soon. She'll miss him tonight.
These things do seem to happen around Christmas time, but it may be no bad thing. I feel lucky that there is so much else going on to lift the spirits, so much love and support on hand, so many welcome distractions. We had another family gathering this afternoon, the one over which he usually presides, dickied up in his Santa suit (stuffed with pillows) to dole out the presents. I had expected a subdued affair but he had rallied so much by this morning that everyone was in buoyant humour, so we drank a toast to his health and made with the merry. Hopefully tomorrow's turkey and ham will go a ways to restoring him to health, and he'll be back to my nana soon. She'll miss him tonight.