Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I Am A Winner

AJ tells me he stayed in on New Year's playing Scrabble and for some reason he seems to think that this is sadder than playing the Game of Life and making a DIY volcano with your two siblings and your Best Gay Friend. Scrabble's not sad at all, if only because it is one of the few games at which I rock. (Cranium is another, isn't it, Marie?)

It's hard to find people to play with though. I refuse to join FaceBook (I waste enough time online on this blog and everyone else's) so I don't play it online, besides, there's something much more satisfying about sitting down at the table with your 1980s Deluxe Edition Scrabble (raised grids, swivel board, hard plastic scorekeepers with fiddly black pins... it's enough to get a nerd like me a little twitchy...). It's like doing the Irish Times crossword with a pen (pencils are for indecisive ninnies) instead of online, where you can check your answers (which is tantamount to cheating, in my book). As I play well and am obnoxiously competitive about it, playmates are thin on the ground.

The New Daddy and I went through a brief phase of Scrabble playing, usually in the company of a bottle of vodka and on one memorable occasion with the addition of 27 bags of Skittles (the flatmates arrived home to find us drunk as skunks and high as kites, full of booze, sugar and competitive spirit. Throwing tiles at one another and shouting, mostly.) In the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship he even placed an ad for an adjudicator on Gumtree (typical, everyone else uses the site to find a fuck buddy, we used it to try to find an even bigger nerd than us). We got a reply too, months later.

I know the date is passed but I'm intrigued as to whether there will be another scrabble faceoff any time soon. Are you planning anything?
Best Regards,
Nerd


Her name wasn't really Nerd, but it may as well have been. Fantastic.

Needless to say, I'd love to play more often. I see there is a Scrabble club that comes together on Monday nights in the wilds of Blanchardstown, but the 'Hood frightens me. (They also have support groups for coeliacs, amateur dramatists, alcoholics, céilí dancers, toastmasters, toddlers and smokers in the same centre. Maybe it would be worth the bus fare.) If anyone knows of a club in town (or wants to start one, and is cool and well disposed to vodka) let me know.