Thursday, May 22, 2008

Teetering On The Edge

I'm glad my first exam is tomorrow, because I don't think I can take much more of this trying to balance study and sanity stuff. I found myself explaining to my mother over breakfast that no, I hadn't showered this morning because "I need to have something to look forward to later". Barring some cosmic, karmic outside influence or the interference of some kindly and determined soul, that shower will undoubtedly be the highlight of my day.

Three exams. Two days. By 5pm on Saturday afternoon I will be done. By 10pm on Saturday night I hope to be a little drunk and by midnight I hope to be nodding enthusiastically out of time to DJ Yoda*, who has kindly agreed to play the POD in celebration of my finishing my exams.

*Funny aside: a friend and I went to see DJ Yoda in Rogue on Dame St a few years ago, full of giddy enthusiasm. We were only fucking delighted when we got there to discover that it was only a fiver on the door, though we were a little disappointed that the turn out was so poor. It took us a good half hour to cop that we'd gotten the days of the week mixed up - Yoda wasn't due to play til the following night. Sensible as we are, we decided to keep our powder dry and head home for a few quiet beers chez him, vastly underestimating how mangled we already were. At 4am we were wandering around Clonskeagh looking for ice-cream, jabbering about how much fun we'd have at the gig the following night...

This was just a couple of months after I turned up a month too early for an Ocean Colour Scene gig in the Olympia. Now that's an embarrassing story.