I spent the afternoon out at the pier in Howth. The sun was shining. The seals were performing for the crowd, blubbering and snorting for fish, their big soulful eyes looking up my skirt. I bought some cherries at the market, I ordered a glass of wine with my dinner and spent an hour looking at it. I stopped off at a book sale and bought myself a copy of Pat Ingoldsby's Beautiful Cracked Eyes. I've only ever bought Pat's books from him, and for other people; I've always wished that someone would think to buy one for me. I got home, sat down, put on some music and cracked my book's spine.
God It's So LovelyI am watching a gull walking
into the harbour shallows
at the edges of grey water
walking very slowly
with no hurry on him at all
the water deepening up around his legs
till a beautiful fusion of water and weight
floats him on it.
The sun comes out
and blinds silver lights across the tide.
The gull is moving one way.
The lights are going the other.
Pat Ingoldsby, East Pier, Howth, 16.40, 7-8-98