Thursday, February 19, 2009

Recovery: Day 7

I ordered scrambled eggs. I wanted the porridge with honey but, as the waiter had already apologetically explained to the lady at the next table, he didn't really know how to make it. He had to apologetically explain himself to me too because I hadn't been paying attention the first time. I was too busy picking at my nose.

The eggs, when they came, were bland and disappointing. He caught me looking covetously at his fry. "You can have a sausage" he said, generously. "What?" I said, squinting, like that would help me to hear. This fucking flu has me deaf; swollen glands either side of my neck are making me mumpy grumpy. He forked the sausage onto my plate and I cut into it lengthways. "I can smell it!" I exclaimed, wide-eyed with surprise and snot. This fucking flu is turning me into Helen Keller.