Monday, March 09, 2009

Plus ça change

Selected quotes from my 6th year English essay copy:
Wonderfully, refreshingly alive! Very annoying - why oh why did it end so quickly?

Excellent work. I would like a longer essay, Rosie. That is the reason for the B grade: LENGTH.

I could clobber you with a blunt ice-pick! You write exquisite essays but like Wilde's cigarette you leave your reader unsatisfied - wanting MORE!

Some day you will write a full-length quality essay (I hope).

Brevity may be the soul of with but your essays are altogether too brief. You are a wonderful writer - extend yourself!
Then, I had a problem. Now, I am sitting at my desk trying to shove another 300 words up the arse of the short short story I've written for tomorrow night's class. I'm frustrated and bored, much like my teenage self was by titles such as The end of a friendship, Censorship should be abolished. Agree/Disagree, The ideal school and my personal favourite, A letter to God. Rereading the essays themselves, I am struck by how little I liked myself as a teenager, and how little I like my teenage self. And so, my múinteoir's closing comment made me smile.
You have reached the end of your copy. Please retain this anthology of wonderful work somewhere safe and reread it in ten years time! It will be like reading letters from a friend you have lost contact with.
Indeed.