Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Voluble Talker Both At Work And At Table

We went out for a recession busting meal last night. The Schoolhouse were offering dinner for two with a bottle of house wine for €50. I was offering to throw a mickeyfit if I didn't get to eat, and soon. So eat we did, rib-eyes and rhubarb crumble. And chicken liver parfait and french onion soup and pavlova (though not in that order). Full-bellied, smiling and self-congratulatory, I had to remind myself that recession busting is all about staying home and eating the leftover curry from the freezer.

But going out for dinner is all about the company. "Look at them!" I whispered, gaping at the 40-odd odd members of the Pugin Society seated two tables away. "Do you want one of them too?" he asked, mocking my fondness for pets. "Yes! That one with the long curly hair and the rounded glasses" I said. "He looks like he eats snails. I'll keep him in the pantry".