I believe I mentioned bouldness on holidays, and as ever am only too happy to elaborate a little on what I got up to. There was the usual fun with hostel bookings ("Female dorm" misheard as "Please may I room with an Italian stag party?") unfamiliar foods ("you taste it", "no, you taste it") and public transport (wrong wagon, third train ticket for our imaginary friend, possibly fake ticket inspectors, haggled fines) but as ever, when I mention bouldness I mean, of course, boys.
Ever scored in a hostel? They do not make life easy for you.
However this suited me just fine on one particular occasion, nay, I was glad of it. Strawberry and I had met some English gents and ended up going out on the tear with them. The Blond was very obviously interested in Strawberry, the other painfully obviously interested in myself. Strawberry has a fine man at home and has no interest in rocking any boats, but was too nice and self-conscious to tell the Blond that (we've all done the "I have a boyfriend, you know" bit just that little bit too early in the conversation, and come off like conceited tits). So it was left to me. I bided my time in telling him, I'm ashamed to admit, because I thought it was funny. He was one of those supremely confident types and they get my goat. Anyway, my wannabe paramour was just the kind of man I'd have not the slightest bit of interest in, and he knew it. He kept angling for compliments or indeed any sign that I'd be willing to play, and getting none. Eventually though he saw his chance, and seized it. True to form, I got billy-bo-jangled drunk (it's an effective defence mechanism against the social discomfort of shit nightclubs) and Romeo made his move, lobbed the gob, went straight for the kill.
Eejit that I am, I sat there and let him.
He decided to strike while he was on a roll, or something (I was pissed, remember?) and the four of us got a taxi back to the hostel. Thinking to further push his luck, he was scanning the nooks and crannies of the place for somewhere to play with his prize undisturbed, but to no avail. "We could share a bunk?" he suggested hopefully. "Fuck off" came the gleeful reply. "I'm going to bed. In my room, and on my own".
I woke the next morning with an acute sense of regret about the kiss, a mounting sense of dread in case he thought it might happen again, and an absolute cunt of a hangover. It was too hot to sleep so decided to retire to the couch and look at my book (I was in no fit state to actually read, but I needed a prop) only to find both couches occupied by two specimens I'd much rather have run into the night before. One of em gave me a big sloppy grin, and I was sold. I spent the next 3 nights scanning the nooks and crannies of the place for somewhere to play with my prize undisturbed, and had remarkably more success than Romeo. I'd love to have brought him home with me. It's not often I meet a man who doesn't put up with any of my shit and it was wholly refreshing. And he may not have been able to dance, but the boy could make me weak at the knees with a kiss. He's off to try his luck in London for the next while, but with a lot of luck he might change his mind and opt for Dublin's fair city instead. I hear the women in London are shit...*
*I may have made that part up, but corroborative evidence would be greatly appreciated
Ever scored in a hostel? They do not make life easy for you.
However this suited me just fine on one particular occasion, nay, I was glad of it. Strawberry and I had met some English gents and ended up going out on the tear with them. The Blond was very obviously interested in Strawberry, the other painfully obviously interested in myself. Strawberry has a fine man at home and has no interest in rocking any boats, but was too nice and self-conscious to tell the Blond that (we've all done the "I have a boyfriend, you know" bit just that little bit too early in the conversation, and come off like conceited tits). So it was left to me. I bided my time in telling him, I'm ashamed to admit, because I thought it was funny. He was one of those supremely confident types and they get my goat. Anyway, my wannabe paramour was just the kind of man I'd have not the slightest bit of interest in, and he knew it. He kept angling for compliments or indeed any sign that I'd be willing to play, and getting none. Eventually though he saw his chance, and seized it. True to form, I got billy-bo-jangled drunk (it's an effective defence mechanism against the social discomfort of shit nightclubs) and Romeo made his move, lobbed the gob, went straight for the kill.
Eejit that I am, I sat there and let him.
He decided to strike while he was on a roll, or something (I was pissed, remember?) and the four of us got a taxi back to the hostel. Thinking to further push his luck, he was scanning the nooks and crannies of the place for somewhere to play with his prize undisturbed, but to no avail. "We could share a bunk?" he suggested hopefully. "Fuck off" came the gleeful reply. "I'm going to bed. In my room, and on my own".
I woke the next morning with an acute sense of regret about the kiss, a mounting sense of dread in case he thought it might happen again, and an absolute cunt of a hangover. It was too hot to sleep so decided to retire to the couch and look at my book (I was in no fit state to actually read, but I needed a prop) only to find both couches occupied by two specimens I'd much rather have run into the night before. One of em gave me a big sloppy grin, and I was sold. I spent the next 3 nights scanning the nooks and crannies of the place for somewhere to play with my prize undisturbed, and had remarkably more success than Romeo. I'd love to have brought him home with me. It's not often I meet a man who doesn't put up with any of my shit and it was wholly refreshing. And he may not have been able to dance, but the boy could make me weak at the knees with a kiss. He's off to try his luck in London for the next while, but with a lot of luck he might change his mind and opt for Dublin's fair city instead. I hear the women in London are shit...*
*I may have made that part up, but corroborative evidence would be greatly appreciated