Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I'd Do Me

I went shopping yesterday after work, ostensibly for tissues for my still snotty nose but of course I was waylaid, and ended up buying shoes. It happens. However, mindful of next week's holiday, I also bought myself a bikini.

I'm sure girls buy bikinis every day, sometimes even wear them. It's not a big deal. But it is for me. Mortifyingly self-conscious, the thoughts of even trying one on -much less wearing it in public- makes me cringe. But I was the only idiot in Australia last year with a onesie on, and I looked ridiculous. So I thought I'd brave it, give it a go.

I didn't try it on in the shop, obviously. Baby steps. (Also, they put these protective stickers in the fanny bit that tend to curl up and stick to your knickers and inevitably have someone else's pubes stuck to them. I don't like that.) I didn't even try it on when I got home. I waited until I was going to bed because then I'd be undressing anyway, so trying it on would not seem like a big deal (and if it didn't fit there's a good chance I'd have forgotten I'd even bought it by morning).

I looked in the mirror. I looked fucking hot.

I dunno if it was the Exputex/Benylin/Anadin/Strepsil combo or if I genuinely am a bit of a ride in the right light and a black bikini. We'll pray for the latter, but in case it's the former I'm going to start practicing slipping over-the-counter cold remedies into people's coffee.