I've been a very considerate flatmate over the last few weeks. I had some ground to make up for after an impromptu Tuesday night party I hosted without consultation or consent (it turns out that my beloved cohabiters don't appreciate acid house and raucous laughter at 5.30am). Ironing, hoovering and grovelling didn't quite cut it so when the lady of the house decided to try out one of those crazy milkshakes-instead-of-food diets I decided I'd be supportive and lay off the cooking.
I love cooking. And I love eating. I even love shopping for food. I don't, however, love carrying shopping bags home (especially if they're the plastic fuckers that cut like cheese wire through your fingers) so eating cereal for dinner any evening I've been home has been a bit of a holiday. Herself has certainly appreciated the lack of delicious smells wafting from the kitchen(ette) when she comes in in the evenings, though on one particularly low night she joked about licking my empty branflakes bowl. Except that she wasn't joking.
I lost patience with it this evening though. I'd been over to a friend's house for dinner last night and we ate like it was Christmas. Tortillas, fajitas, toffee apples, ice cream... I ate so much that I thought I'd never need to eat again but when I got home this evening I was starving. When she arrived home an hour later I was sitting here looking guilty and the flat stank wonderfully of steak and onions.
I'm pretending for her sake that I didn't enjoy it. But my homemade guacamole was delicious.
I love cooking. And I love eating. I even love shopping for food. I don't, however, love carrying shopping bags home (especially if they're the plastic fuckers that cut like cheese wire through your fingers) so eating cereal for dinner any evening I've been home has been a bit of a holiday. Herself has certainly appreciated the lack of delicious smells wafting from the kitchen(ette) when she comes in in the evenings, though on one particularly low night she joked about licking my empty branflakes bowl. Except that she wasn't joking.
I lost patience with it this evening though. I'd been over to a friend's house for dinner last night and we ate like it was Christmas. Tortillas, fajitas, toffee apples, ice cream... I ate so much that I thought I'd never need to eat again but when I got home this evening I was starving. When she arrived home an hour later I was sitting here looking guilty and the flat stank wonderfully of steak and onions.
I'm pretending for her sake that I didn't enjoy it. But my homemade guacamole was delicious.