I need to learn to accept compliments gracefully. Occasionally people say nice things to me and I've realised that it's not polite to make fun of them for it.
"Your hair is lovely today!" should not be answered with "Thanks! I washed it! I didn't brush it though."
"I love your skirt. It's a lovely autumnal colour." should not be answered with "It hides a multitude. Look, I spilled bleach on it the other day and you'd hardly notice."
"You've a Masters? Good on you!" should not be answered with "You'd think that, but I just washed my yoghurt carton and binned my spoon."
I could go on, but you get the picture. I'm off to my room now to practice smiling sweetly and saying "thanks!" in case anyone decides to be nice to me tomorrow.
"Your hair is lovely today!" should not be answered with "Thanks! I washed it! I didn't brush it though."
"I love your skirt. It's a lovely autumnal colour." should not be answered with "It hides a multitude. Look, I spilled bleach on it the other day and you'd hardly notice."
"You've a Masters? Good on you!" should not be answered with "You'd think that, but I just washed my yoghurt carton and binned my spoon."
I could go on, but you get the picture. I'm off to my room now to practice smiling sweetly and saying "thanks!" in case anyone decides to be nice to me tomorrow.