Thursday, October 11, 2007

Earning my Crusts

So, two drunken Tuesdays in a row. It seems I'm back on form! College is back in session so I'm back to behaving like a student instead of a grown-up. (In my defence I did one of those age quizzes earlier and it said I'm only 20. I'd give you the link but I can't find it and I'm too young, irresponsible and lazy to look). This week's boozing was work-related, and a delightful opportunity to introduce my sister to the work that I do. I was pathetically gratified when she confided to me just before bed that she'd hate my job. My job is horribly social and I love it to bits, but it can be hard work. Organising events is fun and rewarding if things go well and people show up but it can be soul-destroying if they don't.* Every party is as stressful as your 21st but you don't get any presents at the end of the night. There's an anxious few drinks while you wait to see if people show and then the relentless schmoozing with people who are not only not your friends, but usually complete strangers.

Admittedly that's one of my favourite things about the job; having a licence (nay, a duty!) to talk to complete strangers. I'm an awful flirt; not as in "oh Rosie! You're just awful!" but as in I'm not very good at it, so work gives me many opportunities to practice. It's exhausting though. My family and flatmates take the absolute piss out of me when I complain about having a hard week in work. Socialising isn't hard work! It fucking well is. I'm shy (stop sniggering down the back) but as hostess I can't afford to be and all that bravado wears you out.

So do the hangovers.

*I'm still the only person I know who's been stood up for speed-dating