Thursday, November 15, 2007

Drochlá

On the bus this afternoon there was a man sitting across from me; well dressed, mid fifties, an Average Joe. I'd been on the bus maybe 5 minutes, chatting to my colleague beside me, when I noticed him lean forward and tap the arm of the man in the seat in front of him. "What the fuck are they talking about?" he said disgustedly, with an arm waving in my direction. The man in the seat in front of him completely ignored him, as did I. My colleague hadn't noticed. He sat back in his seat and folded his arms, looking displeased that he'd made what he reckoned was a point but that nobody was heeding him. The bus was full of people chatting away in languages that I'm sure were alien to him; Polish, Lithuanian, Russian, etc. My colleague and I were the only ones speaking in a language he found offensive. Irish.

***

I was leaving work later this evening and stopped to chat with another colleague, who'd been out with me the night before. She was thanking me for the night, saying that she'd had a ball and it had been great to practice her Irish outside the classroom. "Oh" laughed the guy she works with "I didn't realise last night was a Chucky thing".

Other than someone calling me fat, there is little else I find as insulting as the suggestion that I am a Republican.