Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sometimes It's Hard To Be A Woman

I'm still sick, and miserable with it. I came home from work at around lunchtime yesterday, had a nap and then spent the day on the couch in my jammies watching DVDs and reading blogs, swigging heartily on my cough bottle and necking paracetamol like it was going out of fashion. My good humour was waning by teatime - I was thoroughly dosed but the drugs weren't working and I was getting new, jittery aches and pains.

Influenza, perhaps? SARS? No, worse. A period.

Really I should be thrilled. I have something called PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) which means that I don't really have periods and never had. I was diagnosed with it at 15 and treated with different forms of the pill for years - the hormones in the pill suppress the condition and simulate periods, so it's a solution of sorts. The hormones in the pill unfortunately also helped me to put on weight and made me depressed so in my twenties I decided that I'd had enough of being a pudgy bag of mental and would like to try a more progressive treatment. I did a bit of research, spoke to a woman who was being treated for infertility as a result of PCOS over in the UK, spoke to my doctor and asked that she recommend a specialist who would be willing to try an alternative treatment with me. She did and now here I am, four years later, menstruating.

It's great, really. The medication I've been on for the last few years is very hard on my system (metformin is traditionally used to treat diabetes and spironolactone is used to treat heart conditions and cirrhosis, I thankfully have none of those) and there have been times where I really wonder if it's worth continuing with. So I really shouldn't be complaining, this is evidence that all my efforts haven't been in vain. It's just a pity that Auntie Flo decided to pay her visit when I'm already feeling like a bag of boiled snot.

Womanhood, eh? It's not all high heels and lipstick. Still, there's fun to be had. I googled slang for menstruation, to see if I could find any that tickled my fancy.

I'm having my euphemism today.