Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Very Large Headphones As A Form Of Non-Verbal Communication

I have very small ears. Very very small ears. So small that I cannot fit those annoying little i-pod style headphones into them, and so must wear big jumbo DJ style earmuffy headphones instead. For a time their special-needs ridiculousness was emphasised by the fact that my mp3 was a tiny 1gb thing, about half the size of the earpieces. I now have a large, ungainly i-pod, between that and the headphones I may as well carry a boombox to work.

They have their advantages though. On a practical level, they keep my ears warm on cold days, insulate me from the annoying prattle of the world around me and generally allow me to walk around in a bubble, colouring the world to fit my mood (note: I've learned -the hard way- not to wear them when I have a jittery hangover). To chuggers, salespeople and crazy motherfuckers on the bus they say: I cannot hear you, don't waste your time.

But to cute boys who also wear big jumbo DJ style earmuffy headphones they seem to say: Hello... what are you listening to?