Good news; Joe Chester is to release his new album The Tiny Pieces Left Behind on April 18th, with a gig in Whelans on the 20th. I hope to be there with big jangly bells on. Shane Hegarty recently posted about fall-back albums; I listed Shadow's Endtroducing, Orbital's In Sides and David Gray's Lost Songs** as mine. For some reason Joe's A Murder of Crows slipped my mind - probably because I was pissed at him for taking so long to follow it up. As musical comfort food goes, the aural hot chocolate that gets me through dark days varies according to the blackness of my humour but his Murder of Crows album is certainly a staple. I can't wait to hear the new one. I will, of course, dislike and deeply resent it on first listen (as I do all new music) but once the threat of the unfamiliar passes I'll fall deeply in love with it, I imagine.
I haven't forgotten about the mix tape, by the way... We're having some "technical difficulties" here; the laptop, external hard drive and I aren't speaking at the moment. Blame it all on i-fucking-tunes. Once we're back on reasonable terms I'll get it out, I promise. I know Mademoiselle Music herself is curious as to what's on it because she hasn't a notion what I listen to; given her penchant for the shiny and new I hope she's not too disappointed. Bearing this in mind I've made an effort to include some obscure remixes she might not have heard, including a Daft Punk white label jobbie, the antidote to that fucking deplorable Kanye West assault on Stronger that marred the otherwise gorgeous CD she sent me. Other oddities include Shane Mc Gowan+Green from 2002's Collaborations and a bit of Bollywood in the shape of My Guru from Bombay the Hard Way - Guns, Cars and Sitars. It's going to beepileptic eclectic.
I haven't forgotten about the mix tape, by the way... We're having some "technical difficulties" here; the laptop, external hard drive and I aren't speaking at the moment. Blame it all on i-fucking-tunes. Once we're back on reasonable terms I'll get it out, I promise. I know Mademoiselle Music herself is curious as to what's on it because she hasn't a notion what I listen to; given her penchant for the shiny and new I hope she's not too disappointed. Bearing this in mind I've made an effort to include some obscure remixes she might not have heard, including a Daft Punk white label jobbie, the antidote to that fucking deplorable Kanye West assault on Stronger that marred the otherwise gorgeous CD she sent me. Other oddities include Shane Mc Gowan+Green from 2002's Collaborations and a bit of Bollywood in the shape of My Guru from Bombay the Hard Way - Guns, Cars and Sitars. It's going to be
*Just joking, Joe. I can't imagine it's easy.
**I don't give a fuck, I love David Gray. Always have and always will. The Lost Songs album breaks my heart every time I listen to it and I love Nos da Cariad from Life in Slow Motion more than I love chocolate. So there.