Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Love Is...

My spam filter relented this morning and delivered my Valentine's e-card from the Swede. It read:
Valentine's day isn't just about
hearts, cupid, red roses and little heart shaped boxes.
It's also about friendship and togetherness
and one time of the year
I can really
mush and gush and say
how much our friendship
means to me.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Sorry, I just vomited a little.

He tacked his own message on to the end - sentimental and heartfelt. Should you ever need someone to lean on, I will be here for you. He means it, and I love him for it. Last weekend marked my two year anniversary in the flat, the cosy little corner of Dublin 2 that I share with himself and the Leitrim Lady. I hadn't met either of them before I moved in, I was in a hurry to find somewhere to live as I had just started in my first ever grown-up full-time job and didn't want to ruin it with a 47 hour long commute every day. The landlady gave me her seal of approval as I had the double advantage of being the only person to view the room that day who had (a) Irish citizenship and (b) a vagina - two things she seemed to feel very strongly about. One phonecall to the Leitrim Lady later and I was in.

Unfortunately the Leitrim Lady was out when I actually moved in a week later, leaving the baffled but affable Swede to show me the ropes and tiptoe around me while I nested. By the time she came back from her week's holiday I was treating the place as if it were my own, which must have been disconcerting. If she was put out by it she never let on, and to this day she remains one of the most gracious and equinanimous characters I have ever met. Which helps, when you live with me.

I feel very fortunate to live with them both. They make me feel secure and looked out for. They tell me I look nice when I'm going out on dates. They let me leave Christmas decorations up all year round. They clean up after my occasional late night midweek parties and bollock me for the noise but love me again eventually. The laugh both with me and at me. They make this place home.

Sorry, I just vomited a little more.