I was reminded by my gaelgóir friends to watch Des Bishop's Irish language programme, In The Name of the Fada, on RTÉ (March 13).
[Strike #1: Gaeilgeoirí don't have non-Gaeilgeoir friends, do they? And if you insist on referring to Irish speakers as if they merit a special category of friend - learn to spell Gaeilgeoir. Or look it up. Whatevs.]The effervescent, high-pitched tone baffled me.
[Effervescence and Gaeilge, like Mentos and Diet Coke, do not mix. Oh no, wait...]This new Irish word starting with 'ph' and ending with 'k' in phonetic sounds kept coming into his delivery of newly-acquired Irish; in fact it was used almost twice in some abairtí gearra.
[I believe the word may have been "fuck", Eilís, with an "f". The Urban Dictionary gives a handy guide to its usage.]I was at a loss and reached for my bíobla na Gaeilge (Ó Domhnall), but failed to find such a word.
[I hear they're bringing out a Lolcat edition! I'm excited.]However, this f..k focal kept 'adorning' each Irish sentence, and as it was not in keeping with the rich, flowery blas of the gaeilge that I learned, I lost interest and switched my TV to 'balbh'.
[Had they censored the subtitles?]I was reminded of that old saying 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'.
[I suspect you might be proof positive of that, Eilís.]Eilís Uí Bhriain
Caisleán Uí Liatháin
Co Chorcaí
[source]
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Phuck Off (Review: In The Name Of The Fada)
I made a half-empty promise there recently to review Des Bishop's latest offering, In the Name of the Fada. Thankfully a nice lady in Co. Chorcaí has saved me the bother and written one herself instead. Please adopt a sanctimonious and slightly whingeing tone as you read:
Abie Philbin-Bowman has written a review too, in the Dubliner. A scathing review, which is not at all self-promoting or shortsighted. (I suspect that scathing should be in inverted commas too, or air-quotes, or some such shit, for I suspect that's how the piece was conceived in Abie's head). He slates Bishop's assertion that Irish is "becoming associated with forward thinking and innovation"; according to the bould Abie, "Such self-delusion is a vanity project we can ill afford."
Reviews: Why bother your hole writing your own when you can take the piss out of someone else's?