Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rollerblade Skinny

A trip to Spar at 9.30pm was about the height of the excitement Chez Rosie today. I took a day off "work" to study and I've been sitting here all day in front of my laptop picking through the finer points of Irish grammar, trying not to waste time pottering around everyone else's blog (fail) and playing the Chancer's Enya/Prodigy mashup incessantly because, well, wouldn't you? I needed to rest my eyeballs and earlobes and get some fresh air, milk and toilet roll, so a stroll as far as Bath Avenue was just the ticket. The shopping trip was moderately successful in that I managed to avoid the temptation to buy myself some chocolate as a reward for my hard day's work, but I did cave and buy myself some cigarettes instead. I did buy crappy Marlboro's though instead of my usual brand, that way I'll only smoke the odd one and I'll regret each and every drag (rather than my usual slims, which I smoke with relish and thoroughly enjoy). It's like a shitty form of aversion therapy.

Walking home, smoking discontentedly, I noticed a few heads hanging around at the traffic lights outside Slattery's, looking like they were up to something. Closer inspection revealed that there were all wearing rollerblades. What a fucking cute idea! I often see the Trinners kids going for runs together down around here but that just looks distressing, particularly if you're as wary of group exercise as I am. Even more particularly if you're as shit at running as I am. Rollerblading's where it's at, and rollerblading under the cover of darkness at that.

Now all I need to do is learn how to rollerblade, then I could hang around outside the pub on a Wednesday night and make some groovy new friends. It can't be that difficult, right?