[Alt. title: A walk on the Powerscourt Estate, Co. Wicklow on a Bank Holiday Sunday]
The Wup is possibly the coolest name I have ever heard of for a dog, made all the cooler by the fact that this little guy lived in the early 1900s. How street was he? The Urban Dictionary hadn't even been invented yet. My dogs are named Alpha (the firstborn) and Lila (because that is her name) and I bet The Wup would've kicked their nancy asses.
The Wup is possibly the coolest name I have ever heard of for a dog, made all the cooler by the fact that this little guy lived in the early 1900s. How street was he? The Urban Dictionary hadn't even been invented yet. My dogs are named Alpha (the firstborn) and Lila (because that is her name) and I bet The Wup would've kicked their nancy asses.

A note of bitterness here, it seems that Jyp and Tim, though faithful friends for 12 years, were killed on March 6th, 1905. Chasing sheep? Stealing pies from windowsills? Spreading rabies? Perhaps a tragic boating accident. Somebody was pretty fucking upset about it, that's for sure. I imagine a teenager in mourning being charged with the inscription, sending his parents on a guilt trip for all eternity. Or for as long as there are people like me visiting Jyp and Tim's grave, at least.

Tommy and his wife raise all kinds of questions for me. Was there a wedding with tea and cucumber sandwiches afterwards? Did she wear a veil? And a garter? Why was she added as the afterthought when she'd died a full ten years before Tommy? Is she in there at all? Magic?

Eugenie and Princess; both seriously overachieving cows, I think you'll agree. It bothers the shit out of me though that their stats aren't measurable - sure, Eugenie had lots of little cows and must have had massive udders, but Princess won two prizes. Who was the better cow?

And finally, one for precious little girls everywhere. I never had any truck with that Black Beauty, My Little Pony shit as a kid; the only horses I knew were the piebalds that occasionally wandered into our garden when the Ballyfermot cowboys let them roam untethered. So I was unmoved, but hopefully this one moves posh kids to tears.