"Ha ha, you look like Leo Sayer!" He burped his Guinness, such was his mirth. I gave him a dig, and patted my 'fro. "You look like Brendan Grace" I said. That shut him up.
***
I presented my outfit for his approval. "You look like a sexy Amish dominatrix" he said. "Shut up" I said. I don't always have a good comeback ready.
***
"I think those boots would look better with black tights" he said. He's right. The boots are ankle length and pointy-toed. I like the witchy click of their heels but they make my legs look fat. He'd never say as much, and has probably never thought it. I can't admit that he's right about the tights though, so I choose another pair of shoes.
***
"You have winter colouring" he said. He's been reading that Trinny & Susanna book on his break again. He told me what colours would suit me, but I wasn't listening. I was busy feeling flattered that he'd thought to look me up.
I saw him through the window, elbow-deep in the dishes. He was wearing his new jeans and his new purple jumper with the blue spots (or is it blue with purple spots?) that makes him look like James P. Sullivan from Monsters, Inc. He gave me a big bear hug when I came in. I need that when I come home from work; a hug and some evidence that dinner is under way. "I wore my snowpants and my orange hoodie to work today" he said, gesturing at his clothes. "This is the equivalent of putting a ribbon in my hair to look pretty for you when you come home". I should shave my legs more often, I thought to myself. Then I gave him a grateful smile and a happy kiss.
***
I saw him through the window, elbow-deep in the dishes. He was wearing his new jeans and his new purple jumper with the blue spots (or is it blue with purple spots?) that makes him look like James P. Sullivan from Monsters, Inc. He gave me a big bear hug when I came in. I need that when I come home from work; a hug and some evidence that dinner is under way. "I wore my snowpants and my orange hoodie to work today" he said, gesturing at his clothes. "This is the equivalent of putting a ribbon in my hair to look pretty for you when you come home". I should shave my legs more often, I thought to myself. Then I gave him a grateful smile and a happy kiss.