Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Having a Smashing Time on the N7

Commuting's a lark! Driving all the way into work in 2nd gear is great fun, and really good for the car too, I'd wager. I made it in in only 17 hours today, as opposed to yesterday's 23, quite an achievement.* The big blinky roadside sign that yesterday proclaimed "Accident Ahead at Newlands Cross" today said "Traffic's Shite, That's All" so relatively speaking, it wasn't a bad morning on the Naas Road. But there's always one. I witnessed first hand this morning the reason why there are so many accidents between Newlands and The Red Cow roundabout; pleasant smiley folk hand out free newspapers at the lights, and every dickhead in traffic starts reading them. Admittedly I've done it myself as a pedestrian and was almost mown down by a passing car (I tried it once on the bike but being the graceful master cyclist I am I dropped the paper and again, was almost mown down by a passing car). But if you've a tonne and a half of Ford Mondeo in your charge, spare a thought for the car in front and resume picking your nose and eating it instead.

*Drive times may be slightly exaggerated, but not by bloody much