Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Beart Gan Leigheas...

...Foighne Is Fearr Dó.

Pisces
Are you expecting major transformations to happen overnight? It's time to face the fact that it's going to take longer than you thought. Whether you are looking for changes in yourself or in someone else, you have to be more patient and realistic about how quickly things can happen. Let things unfold the way they will, and the results will be better.
What bollocks. Patience is most certainly not one of my virtues and I generally feel like punching anyone who reminds me of the fact on the nose (but to do so would both hurt my knuckles and prove their point). Vegan ascetic Aurelius Clemens Prudentius laid down a list of seven Heavenly Virtues to oppose Pope Gregory The Great's seven deadlies and I am moderately pleased to see that I excel at Liberality and Kindness and am at least at improver's level when it comes to Diligence and Humility, though I'll admit I have some way to go towards Chastity and Temperance.

But Patience...

*sigh*

I have tried to cultivate it, to grow some, as it were. But gardening holds no appeal for me; it takes too fucking long. I did once sow a very successful vegetable patch, but managed it only because I wasn't living there at the time (it was in my parents' garden) so I forgot about it from one month's end to the next. Had I been home to gawk at it every evening I'd likely have kicked my infant pumpkins in impatient annoyance. There are few hobbies that I find so incomprehensibly frustrating - I find it bizarre that folk take such pleasure and comfort in something where you have so little control over the end result .

As a child I would press flowers from our garden, anxious to turn them into beautiful, paper-thin works of art. I was so very anxious to turn them into beautiful, paper-thin works of art that I would check them on a daily basis, which meant that I ended up with a mangled and sticky mess breeding mold in the pages of my books instead. As an adult I have found one or two which were spared my attentions, forgotten under a pile of encyclopedias. They are exquisite, and a vivid illustration of the adage that good things come to those who wait.

I fucking hate waiting to see how things will pan out.