Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Freak Out Gnomics

I have an ostrich approach to economics and a dose of dyscalculia, I keep hearing that we're in a recession but I don't understand how or why. Where has all the money gone? Surely someone must have it. A gawk at my online banking (and a nod from the barman in Solas) tells me where mine has gone, but my fritterings have hardly caused a crash in the global economy.

I have a good job but I don't get paid much. Enough to cover the rent, enough to live a good life. I don't own a car but I pay insurance on two, I don't own a house but there are two I can call home. My dinner comes from Aldi, my dresses come from Penneys. I couldn't tell you how much a pint should cost but I wouldn't hesitate to buy you one. Even if I didn't like you very much.

So what does today's budget mean for me? This is not a rhetorical question. Make with the pithy, witty answers in the comments please.